We apply, spray, inject, glue, and even rip,all in the name of looking good! But, your beauty routine may be dangerous, even deadly. Nancye Swanson picked up Hepatitis B from a pedicure. "My liver was shutting down" said Swanson. Doctor Stacy Chimento says other infections like Staph and MRSA can spread during a visit to the salon. Dr. Chimento added "you have some of these various bacteria that grow within the actual pedicure bowls." That bacteria can enter the body through openings in the skin.
Spray tans are a popular beauty trend, but new research shows they may not be all that safe. Scientists at the University of Pennsylvania exposed live cells to DHA, the key ingredient in spray tans. They found the chemical caused genetic changes in the cells. Dr. Chimento said "so, we're still not exactly sure how this affects the human body."
Waxing can also be a danger if the wax is too hot. "Burns, permanent scarring, discoloration" said Dr. Chimento. Double-dipping the stick can spread bacteria in the pot and cause infection. Laser hair removal is a popular treatment, but the numbing cream can be a danger. Dr. Chimento said "it can sometimes cause some particular side effects that can be deadly." A couple of years ago, two women who applied the cream and wrapped their legs with plastic to enhance the effects died. Doctor Chimento says only apply the cream under doctor supervision, use as little as possible, and only apply it to small areas.
If you're looking for another reason to ditch the salon, listen to this: if a woman invested the average amount of money she spends on a monthly manicure and pedicure treatment into her retirement account every year for ten years, she would have saved almost $10,000!